Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Importance of Games

The one thing I underestimated about college life is the importance of games. No, I don't mean video games, though many would argue this is pretty important too.

I'm talking about games you used to play as a kid


Sometimes, hanging out with friends can get dull. To be honest, I have a pretty exciting group of friends, and I love hanging out with them. We often do a lot of different things, and when we get bored, we're usually pretty creative in finding ways to remedy that. However, on certain occasions, there just doesn't seem to be anything to do. On occasions like these, it's often a good time to "bring back" certain beloved childhood games.

Let me give you an example: this one time, going through CVS, we noticed they had 4-square balls, and as a spur of the moment decision, we decided to get one. We only ended up playing with it once before retiring it to the trunk of my car for a long time, but later on, it found its way back out when another stroke of boredom had come our way. I hadn't even played 4-square since my Freshman year of highschool, and there I was, a sophomore in college, enjoying it possibly more than I did as a kid.

quelf
Another great pastime that I don't think I ever appreciated enough as a kid is board games. Just the other day, I was playing some silly board game called Quelf, which is a very simplistic, but complicated game. The whole idea of the game is that you roll a die, advance that many spaces, and like in candyland, jump on different colored squares. Depending on which square you land on, you draw that color of card and it tells you what to do. It has ridiculous things like acting like an iceskater for two minutes (with absolutely no real effect on the game at all) to naming different things that fall in a certain category. Or in my case, acting like a weeping willow every time someone rolls a four. Hehe....

Other games that I never got to enjoy as a kid like Scrabble also become more possible, as people suddenly start to appreciate these sort of things.

Simple card games also make a comeback, but in my experience, the most common use of cards in college life is poker, which is usually accompanied with drinking and parties and is very rarely played with real money.

strip poker

Finally, I can't forget all the whacky shit that we come up with that may even put strip poker to shame!

One game I can think of in particular, which will never die in my mind, is ASSter. Oh... ASSter, how you are so random and unhygienic. The game of ASSter came about one day when my friend decided it would be a neat idea to play twister. However, twister can only be entertaining for so long. My friend Thunder decided it might be an interesting idea to put a twist on the game. So... well... they all pulled down their pants so that their asses were showing and the game commenced with much ass-hattery. The most memorable part of the game was when the introduction of the grand rule: "Asses must touch at least once." Wow!

I would like to just take a minute to point out that this was all men playing. There were no women touching asses in this game. Just a bunch of straight, sober men. Also, I would like to add that I did not participate. I believe I was sick that day... anyhow...

"Asses must touch at least once," proclaimed little Thunder with his round face and long hair.
"Fine," agreed Travis, more than prepared to smear his ass grease all over Thunder's face.
"I'm scared," said Thunder. "I don't know if I want to do this."
Then I chimed in. "What do you mean you don't know if you want to do this? It's not like it's a preordained rule. You just came up with it!"

And so the game of ASSter continued.

Lastly, I would like to leave you with one more interesting aspect of games in college.

ANYTHING can be turned into a drinking game

from trivia to uno spin. Oh yes... even uno can be a drinking game.

--Koi

No comments:

Post a Comment