Sunday, April 25, 2010

Starting Your Own Club

Model United Nations Club at Arizona State University


If I underestimated anything about college life, it has definitely got to be how difficult it is to start a club. Back in middle school, starting a club was as easy as telling a teacher, "hey, I think it would be neat to have a club about..." At high school, we were all too cool for that. (HA!) And at a Community College, I really didn't care. I was having too much time partying.

But now I'm at a university, and I got hooked on Model United Nations (MUN) during my last semester at Phoenix College. I never knew such a thing existed, and if I did, I would have never known how fun it was. However, there hasn't been a MUN club at ASU for years! (despite the fact that there is a billion and a half other clubs)

Model United NationsWell, so I started making the club. They had a million different things you needed, and I had very little time to get it all done. For one, you had to have 3 members ready to go! (It's hard to get members to a club that doesn't exist yet!) Also, you had to have an academic advisor lined up, someone to guide you through the club process and do a little bit of moderating while having very little power. You even had to sit through a seminar about having a club!

Once we finally got the ball rolling, we ended up finding out that randomly, there was a group of guys who had the same idea! After several years of not having a MUN club, two different groups of people had started making one at the same time. So we joined forces, and now it's going better than ever. In fact, I have a meeting in like 2 1/2 hours at the local library.

The other thing is that ASU is SUPER restrictive on certain aspects of what clubs can and cannot do. For instance, we cannot sale, or give away, ANY food what-so-ever that was not made by one of the contracted catering companies affiliated with ASU. We can't even order food from a trust-worthy restaurant unless they have an ASU contract. We aren't even allowed to make peanut butter sandwiches for everyone, or anyone! Sheesh!

Well, I'm looking forward to next semester when we're an "official" club. It's gonna be so much fun, especially when we go out of state to big national conventions.


--Koi

No comments:

Post a Comment