Sunday, May 9, 2010

College Should Be Your First Option

Yesterday, while I was diligently working on my finals (unlike right now), some guy named Charley or something close to that came up to me out of nowhere. (I mean, literally, it was like 3 in the morning!) We began talking and he mentioned how he didn't even go to college and how he was just out bowling with one of his friends who was a physics major there.

I asked him, "Why aren't you in college?" and he said because he didn't have a GED.

I told him that he didn't need to have a GED, and that if he did, it would just be a simple test to get it. It was no excuse not to try and further his education. It so turns out that colleges that require a GED to get in often have a GED equivalence test that can be taken for a reasonable fee. At the community colleges here in Arizona, those tests cost $75 to take the first time and $15 to retake. So there really is no reason to not get yourself in college! (Maricopa Community College GED Equivalence)

He told me he worked at Wal-Mart and that he was thinking about going into the Army so that he could get his life going. I told him that the Army should be his second option; college should be his first. There is no reason not to give college a try before you consider the army because you can get scholarships and loans and all sorts of programs to help you out, and if you really can't make it in college, the army will clean up the mess left behind, take care of your debts, and pay for your college for when you get out! There's no real reason you shouldn't try your damnedest to make it in college before you consider the armed services.
old wal-mart employee
Disgruntled Old Wal-Mart Employee

And I told him, "Or you could look at it this way: what is going to happen if you spend the rest of your life at Wal-Mart?"

And he said, "I might get promoted and make a little more money."

And I said, "Right. But basically, absolutely nothing is going to happen. You're not going to go anywhere. You're going to continue living check-to-check. And you're never going to contribute anything useful to society. You will never be anything if you don't get educated."

I'm not sure if those were the exact words, but that was basically how it went.

My point is, don't give up on college until you're completely out of options. Education is the one asset that can not be taken away. Regardless of how much debt and struggling is acquired because of your going to college, you will walk out a richer man! You will have the one resource which does not depreciate in value, which can not be taken away, and which highly increases your capabilities to get a good job that could lead to other more lucrative capital.

Kids, stay in school. I'm fuckin' serious, here. Just stay in school. You'll thank me later.

--Koi

No comments:

Post a Comment