Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Living With Parents... Not the Best College Living Arrangement

So I live with my parents. That's right. I do. And it sucks. It's not as bad as it could be. My parents and I get along pretty good, and for the past couple years, my parents have been kind of mellowing out. However, it still has a lot of aspects that sucks.

One, I can't have parties here. No biggy.

Two, I'm super far from everything and everybody, especially school, which means quite a bit of driving for me, especially for next semester unless I want to pay some outrageous prices to get parking.

Three, every now and then, they remind me that it would be swell if I got a job, even though they don't require rent, which would be four if I had to pay it, but it's not.

Four, I have to be quiet at night.

Five, I have to deal with their messy house and their messy ways of living, and although I keep my room fairly clean and always clean up after myself, it still sucks to deal with their messes.

Six, I'm not always 100% on what's alright to eat in the fridge and what's not.

Seven, they have 30 cats... like literally. That sucks!

Eight, they are moody sometimes and like to take it out on me.

Nine, sometimes when I try to help them out, it ends in a big disaster.

And finally, my mom is a drunk, pot-smoking, lazy, pill-popping piece of crap. I'd love to say something nice about her, but honestly, there isn't many nice things to say.

Obviously there are some upsides. For one, the whole living for free thing is kinda sweet. Further more, I don't ever have to pay for food. It's readily available right there. To top it off, free internet. That's really it, though, and things I could really go without.

Now if any of you know me or have gotten to know me through reading my entries, you're probably aware that I'm pretty much not down for having a "normal" job. I don't mind working, but honestly, if I'm doing something I don't enjoy or that interferes with school too much, I will more than likely quit very soon regardless of other financial responsibilities. This coincides with my views on life that you shouldn't ever have to spend a large amount of time hating life.

The problem with most jobs is this: you get paid too little; people are ordering you around with little say in what is to be done; you get all the crappy jobs while your superiors take the easier funner jobs; you often have to work for and with many annoying, stupid, inconsiderate, unpleasant, or otherwise crappy people that make your life a living hell; and you probably will never get promoted unless you're really like having a permanent poop-stain on the end of your nose.

"Normal" jobs just aren't worth it, and I won't do it. I would literally rather be the universities random homeless person sleeping and showering on campus. And particularly to avoid the trouble of having to work all the time to live in some apartment, I voluntarily lived in my car for a while. It is NOT comfortable to sleep in a buick, trust me!

There are some jobs out there that don't COMPLETELY suck ass, but let's be honest, the best you'll ever get from those jobs is contentment, and I am not okay with being just content 30 hours a week just to barely be able to stay alive.

So here I am, living at home. But you know what, if I can't get a dorm at school, you know what? I'm totally getting one the following semester. Because right now, I can see that although I would probably have to spend an extra several thousand dollars of student loans that I will never in my life be able to pay off, I honestly don't give a crap because by the time that all is said and done and I have my PhD after working my ass off for many years to achieve it, I will at least have a job that I like, that I don't have to get ordered around and do ridiculous work, that I have some kind of say in, and that I can pick and choose what company I want to deal with and find a company that I don't have to work with all these random losers who make my life hell. It won't matter that I have to pay back $200-500 a month for my student loans and live in some crack-head apartment complex and maybe still will be able to barely to pay all the bills, or perhaps I will make so much that won't be the case... either way, I will be happy with my life, doing something that I enjoy and by that point, money will just be some random number because my life will already be great.

So to that, screw living at home and screw working my ass off for a bunch of corporate dick heads; I'm going to get a college dorm and live at school. Let the government take care of me while they still will.

--Koi

No comments:

Post a Comment