Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What's it Like Working at Walmart? -- It's Awesome!

Alright, I'll be the first to admit it: when I was younger, I was one of those angsty down with corporations sort-of people, and to some extent, I still kind of am. I mean, I honestly think that there should be more smaller businesses because I believe it would be better for our economy and for our society, but the fact of the matter is that it's not Walmart's fault that they do so well. In fact, the only reason they do so well is because people want to shop there and continue to do so. It is up to the consumers to decide what they want to buy and where they want to shop; that is simply how capitalism works.

Well anyway, I started working at walmart about a month ago, after having quit their without a two week notice six years ago. Then, I was a cart pusher, which given that I'm in Arizona, which is retardedly hot, I was not down for that; but now that I work as an unloader in the back, I think that this is probably the best job that I've ever had, including: Traffic Research and Analysis--which was good pay, but boring work; Being a cartpusher at Walmart--self explanatory; Stocking shelves at Target--Oh dear God! The menotomy (I can say that word about as easily as I can spell it); working as God-Knows-What at Hot Topic; doing pretty much everything at CVS; and let's not forget that week that I worked at a Persian Cafe.

Anyway, Walmart is awesome because it is one of the only jobs where I can actually take day classes and still be able to work a decent number of hours. On top of that, everybody I work with is pretty awesome, it's a big store so there is always work to be done, which keeps me from getting bored, and on top of that because there are so many people to share responsibilities around the store, nobody expects you to be superman if you're not able to do everything but still respects when you do an excellent job.

Working at Walmart
I'm not saying Walmart is the best place to work; I would still rather be doing something that helps a shitton of people and actually makes a substantial difference in the world while receiving a decent pay, but I guess that so long as I'm still just taking my first few steps on the corporate ladder and more importantly, while I finish up school, Wal-mart is actually a pretty good thing that happened to me.

That being said, I wouldn't even have this job if I wasn't so desperate for my own place. It is finally time to get moved out of my parents' house for good and get my own studio apartment. I've already signed the paperwork and am ready to move in in just over two weeks from now. I'm so excited! It's right next to campus, it's a very safe place, not too expensive, and I finally won't have to deal with my mom's 30 cats or any of their other problems. This will be just excellent.

--Koi

(None of the views expressed in this blog are the views of walmart or represent any views of walmart; this blog is not affiliated with walmart, nor is walmart involved in creating this blog; this is a completely independent endeavor and in no way should be associated with walmart in any sort of way--hope that clears things up!)

No comments:

Post a Comment